Several years ago, the NC Legislature, in response to the tourism industry, passed a law that prohibited any schools from starting before August 25. However, school systems that closed school for a significant number of days due to inclement weather, were recently provided the opportunity to apply to the State Board of Education for a waiver of the start and stop days for school calendars.
Many of our local school systems have opted to start the school year before August 25, 2012. Below is a list of the start dates for the 2012 school year:
Hickory Public Schools – Tuesday August 7, 2012
Catawba County Schools – Tuesday August 7, 2012
Newton-Conover Schools – Tuesday August 7, 2012
Caldwell County Schools – Monday August 13, 2012
Burke County Schools – Monday August 27, 2012
Alexander County Schools – Monday August 27, 2012
There are many benefits of the early start calendar, which best serves the needs of students and educators:
- An early start calendar allows high school students to complete end-of-course exams prior to the Christmas break and creates a logical break between first and second semesters.
- An early start calendar facilitates students being able to participate in college and community college programs.
- An early start calendar also allows employees to be paid for nearly an entire month in August.
- The early start calendar will facilitate interested educators in being able to participate in university summer school courses that begin in late May/early June.
- The early calendar provides greater flexibility for make-up days.
- Finally, many high school students are already coming to school regularly in early August with the start of sports, band and clubs.
If you have any questions about the start date of the 2012 school year – contact your school system.